Home > Videos > Two Wrongs Don’t Cancel Each Other Out

Two Wrongs Don’t Cancel Each Other Out

August 18th, 2010 [print] Go to comments

I just saw this today on Cyclelicio.us and had to blatantly steal re-post it.

I’m curious about others’ thought on the matter, but the way I see it, the guy on the bike is 100% at fault.  First, he heads the wrong way down a clearly marked one-way street, then rides so close the the parked cars that there’s little time for him to react to a pedestrian walking out from behind a parked car.  The "you weren’t using a crosswalk" argument is total bullshit, too.  Sure, crossing mid-street is technically illegal, but the guy looked in the direction of on-coming traffic before he crossed.  He shouldn’t have needed to look in the direction traffic wasn’t supposed to be coming from.  It’s like pulling over to make a cellphone call on the side of a road that specifically says no stopping, then getting hit by a drunk driver who swerves into you.

Okay, so maybe the pedestrian is 1% at fault, but the jackass’ remaining 99% liability doesn’t get canceled out by that.

Also, how about an apology?  The pedestrian nearly slammed his head on the pavement, and probably ended up with quite a bit of bruising on other parts of his body.

Hey, jackass on the bike, you’re the reason cyclists are hated by others.  If you’re going to go out of your way to ride illegally, how about a) taking precautions such as riding slower and paying more attention and, b) being man enough to accept full liability for your mistakes.  Also, get a haircut.

Via Cyclelicious, YouTube

Categories: Videos Tags:
  1. August 18th, 2010 at 17:02 | #1

    “ME TOO”, +1, “LIKE”, RT and whatever else it is the social media kids say these days.

  2. Darren
    August 29th, 2010 at 19:09 | #2

    Agreed. I watch doubly hard for people to run out from between cars if I’m going the wrong way down a one way street. I also try not to combine riding down a one way street, right next to the parked cars, with a tiny shopping bag in one hand, and a camera mounted on my shoulder. From his reaction time, it also seems like he must have been looking to the left at the moment the guy walked out into the street. And he had the balls to post it on YouTube…

  1. No trackbacks yet.